Monday, June 8, 2009

Why I hate private label diapers

Lately I have been getting my daughter's pull ups for free or almost free at Rite Aid and Walgreens. They just aren't as good as Huggies Pull Ups. They aren't constructed the same way, and they don't have the same material on the inside. Are Huggies really $3-4 more expensive per pack in the way that they are made? I really don't think so. As a clothing buyer, I can tell you that the pants in my store are made in the same factories as pants for the Gap, Ann Taylor, and other well known stores. My private label pants have the same materials, trims, and workmanship as those other stores. So why can't the private label training pants / diapers be more like Huggies? They would make a killing! Every mother in America hates buying diapers. They are expensive, smelly, and add to landfills. But for Moms like me, that work full time and have 3 children, they are my only option. I need cheap diapers that work!

When I put a private label pull up on my daughter at night, there is a 50/50 chance that it will leak by morning. I'd say with Huggies pull ups, there is about a 10% chance of leaking overnight. The private label pull ups are cut smaller and are less absorbent. If my daughter's pull up leaks, the sheets and blankets get wet, her pj's get wet, and she wakes up crying in the middle of the night. Not good! Then the next day we have cranky mommy and cranky 2 yr old.

My daughter has even asked me to only buy pull ups with the princesses on them. The Huggies pull ups have Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Snow White and other assorted Disney characters. Cinderella is my daughter's favorite. The generic princesses from Walgreen's just aren't the same and she is not fooled!

Today I went to Walgreens where Huggies Pull Ups are on sale for $9.99 a pack. I bought 2 and used 2 internet coupons for $2 off per pack. Not bad at $7.99 per pack, but not free! Yesterday at CVS.com there was an ad for Pampers diapers and pull ups on sale for $8.99, and get $5 in ECB's back. Unfortunately my blogger friends who went and tried this deal did not get the $5 ECBs in the store, and today that page is gone from the CVS web site. Too bad, as that would have been a great deal. I think CVS needs to get their act together.

So goodbye private label diapers! We are done! Now I really need to focus on potty training.....

No comments: